Thursday, April 3, 2008

Santa Cruz vs. New Zealand





I have been noticing some things here that are the same as U.S. and some that are very different. Here are some...
(and some cute pictures of the kids!!!)



1) Coffee:
You can't just get a cup of coffee here. All coffee shops have only espresso drinks. Then you have to choose whether you want short or long, black or white, flat or fluffy. So many choices! I thought Starbucks was bad! Speaking of, there is a Starbucks here.
2) Fast food:
They have McDonald, Burger King, KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut. Sometimes when I am driving down the street I feel like I am home ( except on the wrong side of the road!)

3) Measurements:
everything is in kilograms not pounds. When I went to buy diapers ( which are called nappies) for Charlie I had to use Google to convert Charlie's weight into kg. Thank goodness for the computer!!!

4) Driving:
First, you drive on the left, of course, which is actually getting much easier. Next, there are so many one way streets. Also, instead of four way stops they have circles here. When you get to one if you want to go straight you have to almost all the way around the circle and on the wrong side...so exhausting to remember!! Also, when you are driving and are going to turn across traffic, you have the right of way over a car coming in the opposite direction who is also turning. (if you can follow that!) We live near the otago peninsula and I was driving there today. It is a curvy road and there are no guardrails or anything so it was a little scary.

5) Names for things:
nappies = diapers
creche = nursery ( like at church)
chips = french fries
biscuit = cookie
croquette = zucchini
aubergine = eggplant

Stay tuned....
I will add more as I learn more.......








No comments: